America Reads Tutor
Highly skilled positions often including planning & supervisory responsibility
Pay Rate: $8.75
America Reads is a nationwide literacy project with the goal of teaching the majority of children to read well and independently by the end of the third grade. During the 2012-2013 academic year, tutors from Capital contributed over 6100 hours of service to sites across the city of Columbus. Tutors will work with students in after-school programs who, in most cases, are performing below their expected academic level. Tutors will work regularly with the same students to allow a relationship between tutor and student to be built which will allow for greater learning potential for the student.
• Assist the site staff to assess the needs of the children and to determine how best to address those needs
• Engage with students in 1:1 or group academic activities
• Build confidence in students while providing academic support
• Potentially lead a session with an academic activity in your skill set (with permission of site directors)
• Attend the following trainings:
o Welcome Training- September 2013
o On-site Training- arranged by site director during your first week of tutoring
o Reflection- 1 per month
• Assist with other needs at your site as a secondary responsibility
• Be eligible for Federal Work Study (FWS)
• Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above (First year students must present a minimum high school GPA of 3.0)
• Commitment to tutoring at least twice per week.
• Ability to take initiative of projects, think creatively and critically and accomplish tasks
• Past tutoring experience or work with children preferred
Please use correct application based on if you will be a new tutor or a returning tutor.