Accessibility Services (AS) values an interactive and collaborative process as we work with students and staff/faculty to establish services. Please contact Accessibility Services at any time for assistance with a request for reasonable accommodations and support services. The nature and type of accommodations, auxiliary aids, and modifications are determined based on the functional limitations of the impairment and evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The goal is to ensure equal access for all.
An individual is required to complete an Accommodation Request Form and submit documentation to verify the presence of a disability and to help understand the impact of the disability on the individual in the university setting. There are multiple ways to document a disability and the documentation requirements vary based on the type of request. Therefore, please review the guidelines to determine the information needed and the acceptable documentation.
Timely submission of the Accommodation Request Form and the verification documentation is essential to ensure implementation of reasonable accommodations and support services. Accessibility Services cannot grant retroactive accommodations. Therefore, academic accommodations should be requested at least six weeks prior to the start of the semester. Housing accommodations should be requested at least six weeks prior to the housing selection date established by Residential and Commuter Life.
- To initiate a request or to request changes to current accommodations, complete the Accommodation Request Form
- Describe the nature of your disability.
- Explain the impact of your disability in the university setting.
- List any past accommodations in academic, employment, or high-stakes testing situations.
- Describe the accommodations requested.
- List the documents you will submit in connection with your request.
Submit documentation by a qualified, licensed professional to verify the presence of a qualifying disability and to help understand the impact of the disability on the individual in the university setting. We encourage individuals to initiate the request even when there may be a delay in securing documentation (See Documentation Guidelines).
- An individual who requests accommodation will meet with Accessibility Services to engage in an interactive process to determine reasonable accommodations and support services. Each request is considered on a case-by-case basis and accommodations are determined based on an individual’s need to achieve equal access.
- After submitting a request, providing documentation, and meeting with a representative from Accessibility Services, a letter sent to the individual’s university email will convey the approved accommodations and support services.
- Students who wish to utilize their academic accommodations must submit their official accommodation notice letter to their instructors prior to the start of each semester.
- Students who wish to renew housing accommodations must complete the Housing Renewal Form prior to the deadline each year as indicated by Residential and Commuter Life.