Skip to nav Skip to content

Registrar FAQ

What is a degree audit and what do I do with it?

Your degree audit is an advising tool designed to assist you in planning for graduation. It matches the course that you have taken, are currently taking or pre-registered for your degree requirements. It is customized to your specific major(s) and/or minor(s) requirements as outline in the CU bulletin for which you came under.

To finalize your degree audit, you need to obtain all the necessary signatures. These signatures include your advisor for all majors and minors, the dean’s signature for Nursing, the Conservatory and the School of Management or the department chair for the Arts & Sciences and the School for Education and Professional Studies. Note: All education majors need additional education chair’s signature.

Failure to obtain the necessary signatures in a timely fashion could result in a delay of your graduation from Capital University.

I’m a high school senior who is thinking about coming to Capital. Who should I contact?

All new students, freshman and transfer, need to start the process in the Admissions Office. For more information, please visit our Admissions web page.

I need to know how much money I owe so I can register for classes?

The Student Accounts Office handles all the money for tuition. The Registrar’s Office only handles the registration process. We have no way of knowing what you owe. For more information, please visit our Student Accounts web page.

How do I know what signatures I need on an add/drop slip?

You will always need your advisor’s signature to make any changes. You will need the instructor’s signature if a class you are adding is closed and to drop a class, you need the instructor’s signature and last date of attendance after the first two weeks of the fall or spring semester. After the first two weeks, you will need dean’s signature to add a class. After approximately eight weeks you will need the dean’s signature to drop a class with a “W” recorded.

What does a “W” mean when I drop a class after the period?

The “W” shows you withdrew from the class. It does not calculate into your GPA.

How do I know if I have ever requested a transcript before?

You can contact the transcript coordinator at 614-236-6150 and simply ask. You can also email your questions to our office at

Why can't you give out information over the phone?

Under the Family and Educational Privacy Rights Act, we are unable to give out information, such as grades and GPA’s over the phone. We can only give out public information, such as graduation verification. However, if a student signed the FERPA agreement and has a hold on their account no information can be given out on the phone or in person.

How do I know that you are not giving my personal information to just anyone?

To release any information to a group or company, we need your hand written signature. Giving us your written permission allows us to release your information.

I just found out that I need my transcripts ASAP, is there a faster way to get my transcripts than the 5-10 business days?

The issuance of transcripts can take 1-3 business days. The quickest way to get a transcript is to come into our office and get a same day transcript for $15. You should put in your request at least one week in advance. Note: you may not be able to receive your transcripts if you have a financial hold on your account.

Where is your office located and what are your hours?

We are located in Yochum Hall on the main level. The office number is 126. Yochum Hall is located on the Mound Street plaza. During the school year we are open 8:30 am to 5:00pm. Summer hours are 9:00am to 4:00pm. The week between Christmas and New Year's, the university is closed.