Majors & Careers
Most college students change their major at least once. Our staff can help you understand how your career goals can best fit with your interests, abilities, personality and ideals.
Choosing a Major
It’s time to begin exploring your interests, skills and values and to discover the majors and careers that fit you best.
Explore majors & your interests
- Start with How to Choose a Major and a Career (PDF)
- Understand the flexibility of your Major Options at Capital (YouTube video)
- See how majors can connect to careers using “What Can I Do With This Major?”
- Choose Major Exploration Courses (PDF)
- Complete a Career Exploration Survey to see connections between you and jobs, careers, and work environments.
- Understand Signature Learning courses and how they relate to your major (PDF)
Explore careers online
- The Occupational Outlook Handbook helps you to explore a broad range of career areas. It describes what workers do on the job, working conditions, the training and education needed, earnings, and expected job prospects in a wide range of occupations.
- O*NET OnLine provides information on a broad range of career fields and occupations.
Explore careers with Capital alumni and other professionals
- Our Informational Interview Guide (PDF) can help you connect with professionals in careers that interest you.
- Watch an Informational Interview video from Stanford that explains the basics and provides great tips.
Changing (or Adding) a Major
Already decided on a new direction? All you need now is the paperwork.
Instructions for Changing Your Major, Minor or Advisor
Making an appointment
Sometimes coming in to talk about it can help you connect the majors to your interests, skills and values. Whether you want to check out all your options, or want to make a more immediate decision, you can make an appointment by using Handshake, calling 614-236.6606 or emailing email@example.com.